Friday, December 18, 2009

Marriage Counseling Appointment...

I thought I would give an update on how the marriage counseling appointment went. First of all, I liked our therapist. She was really nice and straight to the point. I liked how she kept us owning our own feelings and not blaming others. I especially liked how she was trying to teach us how to communicate with one another. She gave sentence starters and as a teacher I thought that was funny. The main issue that we have in our marriage (which she identified immediately) is boundary issues. My husband says exactly what is on his mind with no regard to others feelings, where as I take things personally and don’t share my emotions, which in turns build a "wall". Yes, you are right. I just don’t know how this "wall" is going to come down or if it is ever going to come down. One thing she told Rex was that he could try all he wanted but it is on me NOT him if “my wall” doesn’t come down. I liked that I think that will give him some peace.

I thought that our first appointment was successful. I am looking forward to our appointment next week. HOWEVER, the best part about all of this was us talking because after our appointment we developed a plan. He is going to travel after Christmas and at the beginning of the New Year. In the middle of January if I still feel we need more space then he can start finding a place to live. I like this plan because right now I feel like we are in limbo and this gives us path. We can either work out our differences and stayed married or separate.

Who knows what the future will bring? I know that we are going to have some rough times ahead of us. But I don’t hate my husband and I would like to keep it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment